Tuesday, August 18, 2026

A Question of Honor, a Disputed Braid, and the Search for Justice

Journal Entry — Tuesday, August 18, 2026

A Question of Honor, a Disputed Braid, and the Search for Justice

Locations: Olni, Olni Var, and Turmus.

The difficulties surrounding my encounter with Cassian Leoric followed me from the previous evening into this morning. What began as an argument over how I wore my hair has grown into a matter involving my reputation, my safety, the laws of Turmus, and the people determined to stand beside me.

Late Monday evening, Kael gave me an opening brief concerning the situation. When I joined him and Lady Huntsy in Olni, he told me he had been asked to speak with others about the incident the following day. Until then, I had thought I might have to face the matter alone, so learning that Kael would be present brought me considerable relief.

Lady Huntsy also told me she had delivered my report to Falconer. According to her, he wished to see me in person as soon as possible. I said I would try to speak with him in the morning if he was available, although I also had a physician’s appointment in real life that needed to be considered.

Kael believed Cassian should either acknowledge his behavior and apologize or face a public hearing. We agreed that 5 p.m. (SL time), which is 8 p.m. for me in Florida, would work for the planned meeting.

By then, I was exhausted. Kael escorted me home, gave me a reassuring hug, and offered to stand guard outside. I told him his support meant a great deal to me and that I would sleep better knowing he would be there.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Early Tuesday morning, I returned to Turmus and spent some time working on my house. I experimented with a library ladder and its controls while continuing the decorating that has occupied so much of my attention lately.

Kael later gave me another document outlining what he believes were violations of Turmus law by Cassian. He explained that he wanted permission to represent or speak on my behalf if the matter proceeded to a civil hearing. His proposed concerns included disturbing the peace, disregarding the Ubara’s direction, and publicly insulting me in a way that could damage my standing as a scholar and teacher.

He had already sent his written argument to Kelli, Bactu, and Selia.

I admitted that he was far more prepared than I was and told him that knowing he would be present made me feel better. Whatever else may be uncertain, I cannot deny that he has been fiercely protective of me.

During our conversation, I reminded him that Father does not approve of men touching me unless they are courting me, and even then, only my hand. That subject returned later in a more public and rather unexpected way.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

I also had a long conversation with Carola. When I explained that a slaver had threatened to collar me because of my hairstyle, she looked up the relevant section of Turmus law:

“5.7 Free Women are not required to wear a veil, head covering or scarves. They are required to wear their hair up, or in braids, but not flat. Wearing the hair down and loose without acceptable reason (for example, bathing, strong winds or rain) may be considered an act of claiming the status of slave.”

I maintained that my hair was braided down to the tied portion and therefore complied with the provision allowing braids. Carola disagreed. She believed the loose portion over my shoulder prevented the style from qualifying as a proper braid and warned me that others in Turmus might see it the same way.

I told her I had worn the same hairstyle in old Fina many years ago without difficulty. She reminded me that customs and interpretations vary from city to city and advised me to err on the side of caution.

Her opinion did not settle the question, but it made clear that the appearance of the hairstyle itself would likely become part of any discussion before the magistrate.

Our conversation eventually turned to something more pleasant. Carola had recently traveled to Tashid to speak with Lady Mae about the possibility of a Merchant Fair. She described Tashid as a desert oasis and complained that the camel ride had been worse than traveling by sea. I agreed that inviting Lady Mae to visit here next time sounded like a much better arrangement.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Later that morning, Izzy visited and complimented the walls in my house. He had seen the decorating the day before and thought everything looked very good. I told him the walls had taken all night to complete.

We also discussed the hairstyle at the center of the dispute. I showed him what I had been wearing and explained that both Cassian and another woman had questioned whether it was truly a braid.

Not long afterward, Kael appeared outside my home to stand guard. Aries also arrived after hearing what had happened and wanted to check on me. Looking down from above, I found myself surrounded by three concerned protectors: Kael, Aries, and Izzy.

I introduced them to one another, but the conversation quickly became intense.

Kael announced that he was guarding his intended. Izzy immediately objected that any such arrangement would be up to my father, Captain Wind, and suggested that Kael might have to satisfy Father’s expectations before anything could proceed. Kael clarified that I had not accepted any proposal and that he would need to speak with Captain Wind.

The discussion then returned to Cassian.

Izzy, identifying himself as a lieutenant of the Silver Blade mercenary company, declared that an insult against me was an insult against his captain and clan. He spoke angrily about retaliation and warned that the situation could become far more serious if Turmus did not address the matter.

Aries tried to calm the exchange and assured Izzy that both he and Kael were my friends. Kael argued that the matter should first be addressed through the city’s legal process, although his own anger was evident.

A message then arrived from High Magistrate Kelli requesting that we come speak with him. After a little confusion about his location, we made our way to the magistrate’s office.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

At the magistrate’s office, Kelli explained that Cassian was unavailable and that he had sent for the Ubara. Lady Selia soon arrived, and we gathered for what amounted to an initial interview rather than a completed trial.

Those present included High Magistrate Kelli, Ubara Selia, Kael, Aries, Izzy, and me.

Before I could fully explain the situation, Izzy demanded that the city take action and threatened consequences if it did not. Kelli firmly reminded him that any case would be handled according to the law and warned that anyone taking matters into their own hands could face consequences as well.

Kael encouraged Izzy to let justice follow its proper course.

When Kelli asked me to state my complaint, I explained that Cassian had threatened to collar me and had made unwanted, suggestive comments because he objected to my hairstyle. I also described how he moved close to me after I asked him not to argue.

Kelli requested Cassian’s exact words. Fortunately, I had kept a written record.

I read the remarks in which Cassian compared my appearance to that of a slave, suggested placing a collar around my neck, questioned my qualifications as a teacher, made sexually demeaning statements, and repeatedly used insulting language. I also explained that he continued confronting me after I said I did not wish to argue.

Although Cassian moved his hand near my hair, the written account stated that he did not actually touch me.

After hearing the account, Kelli asked whether I was wearing the same hairstyle and requested that I stand so he could examine it. I confirmed that it was the same style and explained that the law permits braids.

Kelli observed that northern and southern customs can differ. In his opinion, the hairstyle looked more like a ponytail tied with what he described as a slaver’s knot than a braid recognized locally. Kael disagreed and stated that he could see multiple woven sections.

The disagreement over my hair therefore remained unresolved, as did the broader question of whether Cassian’s behavior justified further legal proceedings. No verdict was reached, and no trial was completed during the conversation recorded here.

I eventually had to excuse myself because of my real-life medical appointment. The meeting ended, at least for me, with the matter still unsettled and the planned evening discussion with the Ubar and Ubara still ahead.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Meeting Summaries

Evening Consultation Concerning Cassian

Date: Monday, August 17, 2026.

Location: Olni.

Attendees: Lady Kati Evans, Kaellaed Rhode, Lady Huntsy Silverpath, and Evalee Nightingale for part of the conversation.

Summary: Kael confirmed he had been asked to discuss the incident involving Cassian. Huntsy reported that she had given Kati’s account to Falconer, who requested an in-person conversation. Kael and Kati discussed a meeting scheduled for 5 p.m. (SL time) the following day. Kael offered his support and escorted Kati home.

Morning Legal Preparation

Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

Attendees: Lady Kati Evans and Kaellaed Rhode.

Summary: Kael reviewed his written legal arguments concerning Cassian’s conduct and expressed his desire to speak on Kati’s behalf if proceedings were authorized. He stated that the documents had been sent to Kelli, Bactu, and Selia. The concerns he identified included public insults, possible damage to Kati’s reputation, and alleged disregard for the Ubara’s direction.

Discussion of Turmus Hair Regulations

Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

Attendees: Lady Kati Evans and Carola Aromata Titus.

Summary: Carola quoted Section 5.7 of Turmus law concerning acceptable hairstyles for free women. Kati maintained that her hairstyle qualified as a braid, while Carola believed the loose portion made it unsuitable under local expectations. Carola also discussed her visit to Tashid and Lady Mae’s interest in a possible Merchant Fair.

Gathering Outside Kati’s Home

Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

Attendees: Lady Kati Evans, Kaellaed Rhode, Aries Marchese, and Lieutenant Izzy of the Silver Blades.

Summary: Kael, Aries, and Izzy gathered after learning about the incident involving Cassian. Izzy emphasized his responsibility to Captain Wind’s daughter and warned against retaliation being ignored. Kael discussed pursuing the matter through formal proceedings and clarified that Kati had not accepted any proposed companionship. The group then received a request to meet with High Magistrate Kelli.

Preliminary Interview Before High Magistrate Kelli

Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

Location: Magistrate’s office, Turmus.

Attendees: High Magistrate Kelli, Ubara Selia, Lady Kati Evans, Kaellaed Rhode, Aries Marchese, and Lieutenant Izzy, who departed before the discussion concluded.

Absent: Cassian Leoric.

Summary: Kelli reviewed the complaint concerning Cassian’s remarks and conduct toward Kati. Kati read preserved excerpts from the original encounter. The magistrate examined her hairstyle and questioned whether it qualified as an acceptable braid under local custom. Kael disagreed with Kelli’s interpretation. Kelli instructed those present to allow the city’s legal process to proceed and warned against independent retaliation. No final determination or completed trial was recorded.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

To-Do List

  • Meet with the Ubar and Ubara at 5 p.m. (SL time), or 8 p.m. Florida time, if the meeting remains scheduled.
  • Speak with Falconer in person about the report Lady Huntsy delivered.
  • Preserve the complete written record of Cassian’s statements and the surrounding conversation.
  • Review Kael’s opening brief and his document concerning possible violations of Turmus law.
  • Confirm whether High Magistrate Kelli intends to continue the inquiry or authorize a formal hearing.
  • Ask for a clear ruling on whether my hairstyle qualifies as a braid under Section 5.7.
  • Consider wearing my hair fully up or in an unmistakable braid until the local interpretation is clarified.
  • Coordinate with Kael, Aries, Captain Wind, and Izzy while discouraging threats or retaliation outside the city’s legal process.
  • Attend my real-life medical appointment.
  • Follow up with Carola about Lady Mae’s interest in a possible Merchant Fair.
  • Finish adjusting the library ladder and house furnishings when time allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment