Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Companionship, Commerce, and a New Home

 Journal Entry: August 13, 2026

Location: Turmus, Olni, and Nile River
Title: Companionship, Commerce, and a New Home

I arrived in Turmus shortly before nine in the morning and began the day at the Educational Hall. Tarl Daines of the City Guard visited and examined the class schedule. I explained that three different series are presently running, depending upon the day of the week, and that I now have lessons planned through June.

Tarl gave me a new map of Gor that had been included in a German-language edition of Guardsman of Gor. I had never seen that particular map before and placed it upon the wall for everyone to examine. It is beautifully made, although Aries and I agreed that the simpler map previously displayed was somewhat easier to read and showed Turmus more clearly. A school can change the maps upon its walls, so I may leave the new one in place for a few days before deciding which I prefer.

Aries arrived shortly after Tarl departed and asked whether I planned to attend the Free Companionship ceremony of Thunder and Lady Iona. I had been considering it but was uncertain about going alone. Aries offered to accompany me, which made the decision easier.

When he asked whether it would be improper for us to sit beside one another, I told him that I would like that. We walked together to the Turmus Theater beneath the palace and selected seats in the second row. The theater had been transformed with flowers, ribbons, and decorations beside the waterfalls. It was exceptionally beautiful.

Magistrate Marcus Galbreus officiated the ceremony. He spoke about two people being incomplete halves who become whole through companionship, while also reminding Thunder and Iona not to lose their individual identities within their union.

Thunder promised to cherish and love Iona for the rest of his life. Iona, with tears in her eyes, promised to honor and love him with her heart and soul. They shared wine, joined hands beneath a colorful ribbon, and signed the companionship contract. Marcus then signed as Magistrate and formally presented Thunder and Lady Iona as Free Companions.

An OOC dance followed the ceremony, allowing everyone to celebrate without the usual in-character restrictions. The music, dancing, joking, and congratulatory wishes continued for more than a hand. I was pleased that Aries had asked me to accompany him and sit beside him. It made the event much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Shortly before noon, we returned to the Educational Hall for the first presentation of “Salt, Silk, Spice, and Steel: The Goods of Gorean Trade.” I had considered canceling because everyone seemed tired following the ceremony and dance. However, Commander Augustus and Lady Ella arrived, Selia returned, and Aries remained, so I proceeded.

The lesson examined the labor, transport, storage, risk, and demand hidden behind four familiar commodities. Salt taught necessity and preservation. Silk taught workmanship, display, and value concentrated in light cargo. Spice taught rarity, origin, identity, and fraud. Steel taught production, weight, and strategic use.

Ella asked whether the silk used for slaves differed from that worn by Free Persons. I explained that silk can vary greatly in weight, weave, quality, fineness, and intended use. Aries asked me to expand upon the lesson that spice teaches about fraud. We discussed adulterating expensive powder with cheaper substances, adding dust or husks, wetting goods to increase their weight, selling stale material as fresh, and claiming a celebrated origin without proof.

The Commander seemed particularly pleased whenever steel was mentioned and observed that steel also protects the routes upon which the other goods travel.

I traveled to Olni for the scheduled two o’clock presentation, but only Libbi arrived. We waited for a time in case others came, but no one else appeared. Rather than deliver the full lesson to one person after already teaching it in Turmus, I canceled the session and returned to Nile River.

Laela found me afterward and asked what work I might want her to perform now that Marcus had given me permission to use her assistance. I told her that the Educational Hall needs regular cleaning and that I dislike composing announcements.

Laela enthusiastically volunteered for the cleaning, claiming that she had once been part of the “broom squad of Brundisium.” She also offered to draft class announcements in advance for my approval. Once approved, I could send them to Selia for posting. Laela suggested promoting the lessons to slave groups as well, since all my classes are open to anyone who wishes to attend. We agreed that she must be careful not to overstep the authority permitted to a slave, particularly when communicating with the Ubara.

While we walked, I told Laela that I was considering moving and wanted a home inside the walls of Turmus. We looked at several locations, including the area near the Educational Hall and Marcus’s residence.

The second Turmus presentation began shortly after four. Carola, Selia, Nicholas, and Storm attended. Carola asked me to post the lesson more slowly because she could not read and absorb the information at the speed I was presenting it. I apologized and slowed down.

Carola also raised several thoughtful questions about Merchant forms, warehouse records, and the authority of a Merchant Magistrate. Her questions led to a useful discussion about the difference between practices established in the novels, procedures adopted by an individual city, and the jurisdiction Turmus gives to its Merchant and civil Magistrates.

She asked why Merchants should examine a cargo’s source, route, preservation, and intended buyer. I explained that these questions help determine cost, quality, risk, and value. They also help a buyer remember which origins, producers, or routes provided satisfactory goods.

Storm requested copies of the current and previous class notes. Carola kindly supplied them. At the end, she apologized if her questions had seemed challenging and explained that she asked only because she wanted to understand. I assured her through my manner that questions are welcome; good questions often reveal where a lesson needs clarification.

After class, I went to the Slave House and met Kyrstal. Nicholas explained that Zoey was the newest arrival and that Kyrstal was the second newest. Kyrstal had been away from Gor for a long time and was relearning her service skills.

Because I liked her appearance, Nicholas suggested allowing her to serve me tea at the inn under the supervision of Jean and Cheryl. I asked for green tea with a little milk. Kyrstal prepared it carefully and presented it with proper attention. The tea smelled good and tasted pleasant. She admitted that she had not yet learned to cook and still had approximately ten training lessons to complete.

Aries later joined me. Cheryl prepared tea for him while I encouraged all the girls to work together rather than leaving one girl alone in the kitchen. I reminded them that one could heat the water, another clean the cup, and another prepare the tray. A man should not be kept waiting while several capable girls remain idle.

While Aries and I were sitting at the restaurant, Alexander entered, picked up an entire chocolate cake, and walked away after telling us to have the owner charge him. Aries was astonished and wondered whether we had just witnessed a theft. He explained that Alexander was already being investigated for questionable dealings with other Merchants and for an altercation involving Tasdron. Aries intended to report the incident to Marcus, who had been assigned to the investigation.

Amalia later joined us and served fresh tea to both Aries and me. Nerine was giving Zoey another tour of Turmus so that the new girl could become more familiar with the city and its customs.

By eight in the evening, I was tired and decided to check on my new home. Ramius showed me what could be accomplished with textures, teleporters, and the removal of unnecessary stairs. He described my location as a quiet street with a large house and offered to help alter the interior walls.

I showed him the small schoolroom I am creating inside the house. Ramius suggested that I prepare a future presentation explaining what Turmus produces and exports so that citizens can be consistent in their roleplay. He proposed the title “Turmus: Be in the Know!” I think the idea has considerable merit.

He also taught me that chairs and other suitable objects can be made phantom without preventing avatars from sitting upon them. Doing so reduces collisions and can help lessen pressure upon the region. There is clearly much more for me to learn about building efficiently.

It was an exceptionally full day: a beautiful companionship ceremony, an OOC celebration, two completed classes, an attempted Olni session, arrangements for Laela to help at the Educational Hall, tea served by the Slave House girls, a possible theft to be reported, and the beginning of work upon my new home.

I ended the evening tired but excited. There is much to do, but I am looking forward to creating a home within the walls of Turmus.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Ceremony Summary:

Ceremony: Free Companionship of Thunder and Lady Iona
Date: August 13, 2026
Time: Approximately 10:05 AM–10:36 AM SLT
Celebration: Approximately 10:36 AM–11:24 AM SLT
Location: Turmus Theater beneath the Palace
Officiant: Magistrate Marcus Galbreus
Couple: ThunderBolt Kanto and Lady Iona

Purpose:

To join Thunder and Lady Iona in a formal Free Companionship contract before their family, friends, and fellow residents of Turmus.

Summary:

Marcus spoke about two incomplete halves becoming whole through companionship. He also reminded the couple that a strong union should preserve the individuality and special qualities that first drew them together.

Thunder’s Promise:

“Iona, I promise to cherish you and love you for the rest of my life. As this contract will continue forever, you are the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I have been around for a long time. This is the happiest day of my life.”

Iona’s Promise:

“Thunder, I will honor and love you with my heart and soul. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. I will love you forever.”

Eva served the ceremonial wine. Thunder drank and passed the cup to Iona, who also drank. Marcus bound their joined hands with a colorful ribbon and spoke about maintaining individuality within companionship.

Thunder and Iona then signed the companionship contract. Marcus examined the document, added his signature as Magistrate, and announced them as Free Companions on behalf of Turmus.

An OOC dance followed the ceremony.

Recorded Attendance Included:

  • ThunderBolt Kanto
  • Lady Iona
  • Marcus Galbreus — Officiant
  • Ubara Selia
  • Kati Evans
  • Aries Marchese
  • Carola Aromata Titus
  • Cherry Audax
  • Tasdron
  • Iskander Jorgensson
  • Trisha Sciavo-Jorgensson
  • Rhayne Audax
  • Mews Lowell
  • Gorm Runo
  • Eva
  • Laela
  • Lora

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Class Summary:

Class: Class 42 — The City
Title: Salt, Silk, Spice, and Steel: The Goods of Gorean Trade
Date: August 13, 2026
Time: Approximately 12:10 PM–12:58 PM SLT
Location: Turmus Educational Hall
Teacher: Lady Kati Evans
Track: Trade, Markets, and Commerce

Purpose:

To examine how source, labor, preparation, transportation, storage, condition, proof, and demand create the value of important Gorean commodities.

Central Principle:

The value of a Gorean good is created not only at its source, but through preparation, transport, protection, condition, proof, and demand at its destination.

Summary:

The class examined four commodities:

  • Salt teaches necessity and preservation.
  • Silk teaches workmanship, display, and concentrated value.
  • Spice teaches rarity, identity, origin, and fraud.
  • Steel teaches production, weight, labor, and strategic use.

The lesson followed goods from their source to preparation, transport, storage, and final market. It emphasized that procedures such as manifests, inspections, duties, and warehouse forms may vary by city and should not automatically be treated as universal Gorean law.

Discussion Topics:

  • Differences in the quality and intended use of silk
  • The use of salt for preservation
  • The salt mines of Klima
  • Adulteration and false claims of origin in the spice trade
  • The many civil and military uses of steel
  • The protection of trade routes
  • How changing circumstances affect price and demand

Recorded Attendance:

  • Kati Evans — Teacher
  • Aries Marchese
  • Commander Augustus Bade
  • Ella De Wren Bade
  • Ubara Selia

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Scheduled Class Record:

Class: Salt, Silk, Spice, and Steel: The Goods of Gorean Trade
Date: August 13, 2026
Scheduled Time: 2:00 PM SLT
Location: The Circle, Olni
Teacher: Lady Kati Evans

Outcome:

The class was not presented because only one student arrived. Kati and Libbi waited to see whether others would attend, but no additional students appeared.

Recorded Attendance:

  • Kati Evans — Teacher
  • Libbi

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Class Summary:

Class: Class 42 — The City
Title: Salt, Silk, Spice, and Steel: The Goods of Gorean Trade
Date: August 13, 2026
Time: Approximately 4:10 PM–4:59 PM SLT
Location: Turmus Educational Hall
Teacher: Lady Kati Evans
Track: Trade, Markets, and Commerce

Purpose:

To present the trade-goods lesson to the later Turmus class and encourage discussion about commercial evidence, records, jurisdiction, and value.

Summary:

The principal lesson on salt, silk, spice, and steel was repeated at a slower pace. Particular attention was given to packing, storage, warehouse records, trade routes, fraud, and the importance of examining more than a cargo’s outer layer, label, or seal.

Discussion Topics:

  • Merchant forms and warehouse records
  • The responsibilities of Merchants and Scribes
  • The authority of the Turmus Merchant Magistrate
  • Circumstances in which civil Magistrates may become involved
  • Why a buyer should investigate a commodity’s source and route
  • How condition, preservation, proof, and demand affect value
  • The difference between book-supported commercial practices and city-specific procedures

Carola requested a slower presentation speed and asked several questions to clarify the lesson. Storm requested copies of the notes, which Carola provided.

Recorded Attendance:

  • Kati Evans — Teacher
  • Ubara Selia
  • Carola Aromata Titus
  • Nicholas Eel
  • Storm

No comments:

Post a Comment