Journal Entry: August 14, 2026
Location: Turmus, Olni, Apple Fall, and Sandbox Peritus
Title: The House Became a Home
My day truly began the previous evening, when I returned to Turmus after visiting Apple Fall and threw myself back into furnishing my new house. What I intended to be a few hours of decorating became an entire night of building, adjusting, testing, and searching for just the right pieces.
I wanted the house to feel warm and lived in without consuming every prim available to me. To accomplish that, I created most of the detailed wall treatments myself. Rather than placing dozens of separate decorative objects, I designed each wall as a single large prim with the shelves, cupboards, woodwork, and other details incorporated into its texture. There are only three such walls on each floor, yet they give the rooms far more character than their land impact would suggest.
It was painstaking work. Some furnishings did not fit properly, curtains and cushions needed adjustment, and the lighting refused to cooperate. At one point I received a warning that I had exceeded the permitted land impact, so I had to reconsider several choices and make the house more efficient. Still, every little improvement encouraged me to continue.
RusSeLL stopped by shortly after two in the morning and became one of the first people to see the bedroom taking shape. I showed him the basin and explained where I planned to place the tub and bed. There was not much to see yet, but he seemed impressed by what I had accomplished and praised the work before leaving.
The remainder of the night disappeared in a haze of curtains, furniture, fires, cupboards, books, scrolls, and building tools. I traveled between Turmus, Apple Fall, and Sandbox Peritus while searching for suitable pieces and testing different arrangements. I also began organizing the considerable collection of Gorean reference materials I possess. There are scrolls covering laws, castes, physicians, scribes, merchants, warriors, slaves, and nearly every other subject one might imagine. Finding a sensible way to store all that knowledge may prove to be a project of its own.
Morning arrived without my ever having gone to bed.
Aries surprised me at about half past eight with a cheerful “Boo” and received a proper tour of the house. By then I had created a round outdoor table and sitting area, which made the entrance feel far more welcoming.
Inside, I showed him how I had separated the kitchen from the sitting room and living area. The kitchen is well supplied, with cupboards, an oven, storage, and several casks of drink. Aries joked that the only responsible way to determine what was in the seven casks would be to taste them all and attach labels afterward. I suspect the tasting would have interested him more than the labeling.
Upstairs, I showed him the bedroom and the picture of Father and me. The view is one of the things I love most about the house. From the upper floor, I can see almost all the way to the Educational Hall. The school is close enough that I can walk there easily, which makes this location especially suited to me.
Aries liked the arrangement of the rooms, the sitting area, and particularly the wall separating the kitchen from the rest of the lower floor. He was less pleased to discover that I had worked throughout the entire night without sleeping. I admitted that I still had much to do, especially the lighting. I had experimented with sconces and candles, but some of the flames kept extinguishing themselves or failed to provide the atmosphere I wanted.
My allowance is approximately two hundred prims, and at that point only about forty remained available. I still wanted proper lights, a mailbox or doorbell, and a few final touches, so every decision had to be made carefully. Aries reminded me that a home is never truly finished. He was probably right. There will always be another object to move, another texture to improve, or another corner that seems too empty.
He remained for a while, testing the table and seats and offering his opinions. Eventually, however, he had to leave for a work meeting. Before departing, he again told me that the house looked good. After so many hours staring at the same walls, it was reassuring to hear that from someone seeing them with fresh eyes.
Later in the morning, Thunder contacted me because he believed he had missed one of my classes. I explained that my classes are held on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and that the next class would be tomorrow, August fifteenth, according to the Second Life and American calendar.
The confusion came from the fact that Thunder lives in Australia, where it was already August fifteenth. I gave him the Turmus Google Calendar address and explained that it should translate the scheduled classes into his own local time. He told me that he enjoys my classes, which was lovely to hear. Time zones may be troublesome, but at least the calendar should save him from having to calculate the difference himself.
During the afternoon, I briefly visited Olni. The inn was lively, with the usual mixture of conversation, teasing, spilled paga, and disagreements over how a scene ought to be played. I was invited to participate in Capture the Flag, but I declined. By then I had been awake throughout the entire night and well into the following day. Running around attempting to capture anything seemed profoundly unwise.
When I returned to Turmus, I encountered Carola and Laela. I would have liked to show Carola the house, but she was feeling unwell and needed to leave. I therefore invited Laela to accompany me instead.
I gave her a much more complete tour than I had been able to give RusSeLL during the night. I showed her the outdoor sitting area and dining place, the cupboards, the kitchen and its oven, the coat closet and storage, the living room with its books and scrolls, and the area where drinks are kept. Upstairs, I showed her the balcony, wardrobe, basin, chamber pot, window coverings, and the cupboards bearing my initials.
I explained how I had constructed the walls and why I had chosen to make each one a single large prim. Laela was astonished that I had done all the wall work myself and suggested that I could sell such creations on the Marketplace. I told her that I would be more inclined to do the work for friends. I enjoy creating something suited to a particular person or place more than I would enjoy turning it into a business.
Originally, the walls had been tan, but the color did not suit the space as I had imagined it. I replaced it with a soft light gray, which feels cleaner and allows the furnishings and darker wooden details to stand out. The change required additional work, but I am pleased that I trusted my instincts.
I also told Laela about Kael’s former home. I had loved what we created there, but the rollback destroyed it. I still wish he would allow me to rebuild it, although the prim accounting became complicated after he made me a tenant. Perhaps someday we will find a practical way to restore it.
Laela called my house beautiful and said she intended to attend both classes tomorrow if she could. She also offered to sweep the steps and help keep the Educational Hall neat. I thanked her sincerely. Having someone care about the school enough to help maintain it means a great deal to me.
She eventually left to prepare food, while I continued making adjustments. Near the end of the day, I experimented with a pair of enchanted blue-glass wall lanterns. Their light may finally provide the atmosphere I have been seeking.
Despite my exhaustion, I felt deeply satisfied. A bare structure had become a kitchen, sitting room, library, bedroom, balcony, and gathering place. More importantly, it had begun to feel like mine.
There will undoubtedly be more changes. The lighting still requires attention, and I remain tempted by more furnishings than the prim allowance can possibly accommodate. Nevertheless, the house has crossed that invisible boundary between being merely a building and becoming a home.
After working through an entire night and most of the following day, however, even I had to admit that the remaining improvements could wait until after I slept.
No comments:
Post a Comment