Regions: Turmus,Shades of Turmus,Thunder Mountain
Events: Free Women’s Dance Planning Meeting,Weights and Measures Class,Double Free Companionship Ceremony,Evening Visits
Plans for Dance and Learning
I met with Odette Atheria and Willow during the morning. We first gathered in Turmus, where Nerine offered to serve us. Odette explained that our meeting might include OOC information and was intended only for the free women, so Nerine was dismissed with our good wishes. Once Willow arrived, Odette took us to a private dance circle in the Shades of Turmus.
The place had once been used for solo slave-dance competitions, but it also contained an older free dance HUD that still worked. Odette explained that many free women do not own dance HUDs or know how to use them. Willow was familiar with Spot On, choreography movers, Stage Manager, and Performance Director, while I admitted that I had never used a dance HUD.
We also spoke of Luella, whom none of us had heard from recently. Odette said Luella had returned home after being ill, but had not been seen online. We all hoped she would be able to return soon.
The discussion then turned toward possible dance classes. Odette suggested beginning with the basics: animation priorities, why an AO sometimes must be turned off, how to place dances into a HUD, how to create sequences, and where to find good free dances. Willow offered to help teach and said she would also be glad to attend a class taught by Pinx Mosely, who knows the Spot On system well.
Odette suggested that free-woman dance classes might be offered through my Educational Hall, perhaps with help from Pinx or BilliAnn. I agreed that the Hall could be used as long as someone else taught the classes. Odette told me to take one of the free HUDs and offered to teach me how to use it when we had time.
The rain and thunder began while we were meeting, frightening my dogs and making it difficult for me to follow everything. I explained that I had been so focused on preparing my lessons and dealing with my surgeries that I had not given much thought to what I might like to learn. Even so, the proposed beginner class sounded useful, and I left the meeting amused by Odette’s description of me as “a sponge for education of any type.”
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Teaching Weights and Measures
At noon I taught Weights and Measures: Ensuring Fair Trade in the Turmus Educational Hall. Storm and Ubara Selia attended.
This was the next lesson in Level 2’s first track, Trade, Markets, and Commercial Life. I explained that fair trade requires a shared standard, an appropriate measuring instrument, honest use of that instrument, and a record or witness capable of proving what the parties agreed to exchange.
The lesson began with the official Stone and Merchant Foot standards kept near the Sardar. From there, we examined the Stone and Weight; the hort, Merchant Foot, pasang, ah-il, and ah-ral; the tef, tefa, and huda; and the talu and other liquid measures. We also discussed how dishonest weights, false instruments, altered methods, or misleading descriptions could affect a transaction, while remembering that an inaccurate measurement does not by itself prove intentional fraud.
I ended with the five-step fair-measure test:
NAME → STANDARD → INSTRUMENT → METHOD → RECORD
Storm said that any questions he might have had were answered during the lecture. Ubara Selia had studied much of the material before and had no questions. Both thanked me for the class, and we ended shortly before 12:40 p.m.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Two Free Companionships at Thunder Mountain
After class, I traveled to Thunder Mountain and witnessed a double Free Companionship ceremony conducted by Lady Jessika Roberts. Sir Frances Markova was joined with Lady Ceres, while Marcus Aurelius Antoninus was joined with Lady Myriam-Aliyah Aurelius Antonius.
Lady Jessika spoke of the traditions surrounding Free Companionship and placed flowers upon the women’s heads. Each couple answered questions concerning protection, fidelity, family responsibilities, honor, and the customs of their Home Stone. Veils were removed at different stages, and each person gave personal vows before the witnesses.
The couples then shared the wine of companionship, two drinking from one goblet. The remaining wine was returned to the ground as Lady Jessika spoke of life coming full circle. Fire, salt, and bread were presented as treasured rights of the Home Stone, now to be shared by each couple as one household rather than two separate people.
When both unions had been accepted in writing and before the gathered witnesses, Lady Jessika presented the newly joined couples. Those gathered applauded and offered their congratulations. It was a moving ceremony, made especially memorable by seeing two couples begin their companionships together.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Friends from Olni
Later in Turmus, I was pleased to see Lady Huntsy Silverpath and Paul SpiritWeaver, both of whom I knew from Olni. Huntsy said she had been worried about me after the trouble involving the slaver and asked what had happened after the meeting. I told her that matters had quieted after I informed Kael that my father had refused him permission to court me.
Paul was unhappy with the way a woman of his Home Stone had been treated and said he would like to speak with the slaver. I told him that I had not seen the man since all the commotion. I also explained that, after so many years as a female Magistrate and High Magistrate, I had learned that the position sometimes brought out the worst in certain men. Some had threatened me with a collar, but none had ever succeeded in putting one on me.
Huntsy remained concerned that I traveled alone too often and reminded me that caution was still important. I assured her that I did my best to remain safe, and I offered to show her and Paul my Educational Hall and my house on a future visit.
As the evening continued, we spoke more personally. Kael had left Turmus and said he was going to Telnus, although Father later told me that he had never arrived there. It did not sound as if Kael wished to remain after Father refused to allow him to court me. Kael had told Izzy, one of Father’s men, that he was my intended before he had received either my agreement or Father’s permission. Father did not appreciate someone making such a claim about me without first speaking to him.
I explained that Wind is my third father. He had not been part of my life when Kael and I were companioned in either 2010 or 2019, and he does not know Kael. My first two fathers have passed away.
When Huntsy asked what I wanted, I answered honestly. I would like to find a good companion who does not have anger issues—someone easy to talk to, with good control of himself. I have spent most of my years as a Magistrate alone, and I would like something gentler and more dependable if I ever companion again.
Huntsy also asked whether I had made my report to Falconer after asking her to inform him. I could not remember whether I had included it when I wrote and had not yet seen him. Before she and Paul left, Huntsy promised to visit more often. I invited her to join the free women for blackwine one morning, and she said she would like that very much.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Nerine’s Offer to Cook
After Huntsy and Paul departed, I joined Aries Marchese and Nerine. I learned that Nerine belongs to Magistrate Sebastian Riley, who lives nearby but travels often. Because she had been left alone without proper care, the slavers had arranged for her to sleep safely in the kennel.
Nerine had caught nine tuna in the last fishing contest and joked that she could prepare tuna steaks. She then said she could also make good bosk steaks and either fried or mashed suls. I admitted that I could use the help of a girl who cooks well, since I am often busy and never learned to cook very well myself. Nerine offered to prepare meals for me when needed, and I told her I would appreciate the assistance.
Amalia later joined us, and I told Aries about my visitors from Olni. Huntsy is a healer, although I could not remember Paul’s position at that moment. Aries hoped they had enjoyed their visit and might return for one of my classes. Since Huntsy had promised to come back often, I thought that was possible.
After wishing Aries, Nerine, and Amalia a good night, I wandered home shortly before eight in the evening.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Meeting Summaries
Free Women’s Dance Planning Meeting
Time: Approximately 11:02–11:43 a.m.
Location: Private dance circle, Shades of Turmus
Attendees: Lady Kati Evans,Lady Odette Atheria,Lady Willow
Summary: We discussed creating beginner dance classes for free women. Proposed subjects included animation priorities, turning off an AO, adding dances to a HUD, creating sequences, and finding free dances. Pinx Mosely may be asked to prepare a class, and Willow offered her assistance. The Turmus Educational Hall may host the classes if another person teaches them. Odette also offered to help me learn to use the free dance HUD.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Weights and Measures Class
Time: Approximately 12:03–12:40 p.m.
Location: Turmus Educational Hall
Teacher: Lady Kati Evans
Attendees: Storm,Ubara Selia
Summary: I taught the Level 2 lesson Weights and Measures: Ensuring Fair Trade, covering Gorean standards of mass, length, dry volume, and liquid volume; the Sardar reference standards; common forms of measurement error or fraud; and the five-step fair-measure test. Neither student had questions at the end.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Double Free Companionship Ceremony
Time: Approximately 1:06–2:24 p.m.
Location: Thunder Mountain
Officiant: Lady Jessika Roberts
Companions: Sir Frances Markova and Lady Ceres; Marcus Aurelius Antoninus and Lady Myriam-Aliyah Aurelius Antonius
Other Named Witnesses: Lady Kati Evans,Lady Trinity Dangerfield,Nemesis,Ariana “Pippa” Krigerand,MORRIgan Fitheach,Nephtides na Neidos
Summary: The two couples exchanged pledges and personal vows, shared the wine of companionship, received fire, salt, and bread as joined households, and were presented to the gathered witnesses as Free Companions.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
To Do
Decide whether to host free-woman dance classes in the Turmus Educational Hall once a teacher and schedule are confirmed.
Ask Odette to show me how to use the free dance HUD.
Confirm whether Falconer received my report concerning the earlier trouble.
Arrange a future visit with Huntsy and Paul to show them the Educational Hall and my Turmus house.
Follow up with Nerine when I need help preparing a meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment