Friday, August 28, 2026

A New Face, a Salt Dispute, and Lessons Ahead

Regions: Turmus,Olni

Events: Welcoming Freya of Thentis,Morning Blackwine,Salt Bounty Discussion,Class Calendar Work

A Visitor Lost Beneath Turmus

My day began early in Turmus, where I met a visibly upset woman who had found her way into the maze beneath the city. She introduced herself as Freya Moonchild of Thentis and blamed the Harbor Master, Zino, for telling her to explore without warning her about what she might find below. She had feared that she would not make her way out again.

After she had calmed, Freya explained that Zino had suggested she might find business opportunities in Turmus. The passage had been inexpensive, so she decided to visit. She complimented the city and told me that she belonged to the Slavers’ Caste. Her business at her Home Stone had declined because of circumstances she did not fully explain, and she was considering some form of import and export trade involving rarities.

The city’s slaver was not expected to be available for some time, and Carola was busy, so I offered Freya a beverage and led her to the inn. I showed her the restaurant, the rooms, and the place where several of us free women gather for blackwine in the mornings. I told her that four of us could sit comfortably before we needed to add more chairs.

Freya spoke warmly of Thentis and admitted that blackwine was one of the things she missed most while traveling. I told her she would be welcome to join us, since we always enjoy speaking with women from other cities.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Blackwine with Freya and Carola

Carola arrived a short time later, and I introduced the two women. Freya explained that she had not yet arranged passage back to Thentis and might remain in Turmus for a while. Carola and I both encouraged her to stay.

Freya had no intention of sleeping aboard the Harbor Master’s ship. Carola warned that doing so could compromise a free woman and advised her to ignore unwanted advances. I offered Freya the inn room bearing the reserved sign, explaining that it had once been my room. She accepted the suggestion and said she hoped to continue exploring Turmus over the next several days.

After Freya left, Carola admitted that she could not quite understand her. Freya did not behave as roughly as Carola expected of a slaver, and Carola wondered whether she might be in disguise. Carola also observed that Turmus needed active merchants who understood their products more than it needed another slaver or another member of the High Castes.

I thought Freya seemed pleasant and interested in becoming involved in the city. Whatever her full story might be, I saw no harm in being friendly and allowing her actions to reveal her intentions in time.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Laela’s Messenger Story

Laela joined us and spoke excitedly about a story she was developing with Master Cooper. They were considering how a scroll girl might carry a message from one city to another while stepping beyond the most familiar stories and customs.

Laela had considered tunnels, hiding aboard a departing wagon, or even sending a vulo. Carola explained that city tunnels would not ordinarily connect distant cities and that a kajira traveling alone would face serious danger. She suggested that the girl might disguise herself as a she-urt, since such a lowly free woman might travel without drawing the same attention as a richly dressed woman without a male guard.

Laela loved the idea and hurried to add it to the possibilities for the story. I had to step away for part of the discussion, but it was enjoyable to hear her imagination at work when I returned.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

The Great Drama of Soap—and Salt

Pandora Audax arrived and greeted us before turning her attention to Carola. She announced that Carola had become famous and referred to an article and a wanted poster concerning the origin of the salt Carola sold.

Carola insisted that she had never claimed her salt came from a particular southern oasis or that it was mined in the Tahari. Her price list merely described red salt from deep inland pits and mines, transported by caravans across plains and deserts. Pandora agreed that the list did not name the disputed oasis, but advised Carola to seek protection from the city guard because a mercenary might attempt to collect the bounty whether the accusation was true or not.

Pandora teased that, if Carola were taken and sold for one gold tarsk, she might buy her and perhaps free her once the paperwork was finished. Carola was not amused. She intended to continue selling her salt and planned to consult a Magistrate about the wanted notice.

When Carola asked me who the best Magistrate in Turmus was now that I had retired, I named Kelli. When she asked for the second best, I suggested Marcus and noted that Aries was still new. Carola decided to leave a message for Marcus and ask for a meeting.

Pandora departed after giving Laela a bar of her “best soap in Gor.” I could only observe that the encounter had been different and wonder aloud who knew there could be so much drama in soap. Carola quickly corrected me: the dispute was about salt.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Checking the Class Calendars

I spent much of the remaining day checking and adjusting the public class-calendar boards in Turmus and Olni. The two cities use different teaching schedules: Olni’s board showed Saturday classes at noon and Tuesday and Thursday classes at 2:00 p.m., while Turmus showed Saturday at 11:00 a.m. and Tuesday and Thursday classes at noon and 4:00 p.m.

I traveled briefly to Olni in the morning to examine its board, returned to Turmus, and later made another quick comparison between the two. Several board refreshes showed the schedule expanding through October 10. I also turned off the date headers on the Turmus display and worked on updating lesson titles.

One important title changed from The Administrator: Office, Authority, and Responsibility to Administrator and Ubar: Civil Rule and the Rule of War. The September 10 display, however, showed The Slave Market: Inspection, Bidding, and Sale at noon while the 4:00 p.m. event still showed Weights, Measures, and Merchant Scales. That remaining mismatch will need to be checked.

The calendar work took many small adjustments, but the boards were beginning to show the fuller progression of lessons planned for the coming months.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Meeting Summaries

No formal meetings were held today.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

To Do

  • Welcome Freya again if she returns and confirm that the reserved inn room is available for her.

  • Introduce Freya to appropriate merchant contacts if she decides to establish a business in Turmus.

  • Ask whether Carola was able to meet with Marcus about the wanted notice and salt accusation.

  • Correct or confirm the September 10 Turmus calendar entries so the noon and 4:00 p.m. class titles agree.

  • Compare the remaining Olni and Turmus calendar dates, titles, and city-specific teaching times.

No comments:

Post a Comment