Journal Entry: August 15, 2026
Location: Turmus and Olni
Title: Bows, Slave Rules, and Tavern Music
This was a full day of teaching, learning, conversation, and music.
I began the morning in Turmus, preparing for the eleven o’clock class at the Educational Hall. Odette arrived early and asked whether she might attend. I assured her that the classes are open to anyone interested in learning. While we waited, I told her about my new home and invited her to visit. I explained that it is House Number 20, the blue house at the end of the walkway.
Odette asked which lesson had begun this series, and I checked before confirming that the first was the Introduction to Gor. She said that she enjoys the challenge involved in decorating, which I certainly understand after the many hours I have spent creating the walls and furnishing my home.
Aries arrived with Amalia shortly before the class, followed by Lady Selia. Selia joked that she had fallen through her seat and blamed the baby. I remarked that the little one was already making his or her presence known.
There was some confusion about whether I would offer another class later in the day. I explained that there is only one Saturday class because I wanted to attend the slave class scheduled for the afternoon.
At approximately eleven minutes after the hour, I began Bowing, Kneeling, and Other Gestures of Respect. The lesson continued our first World track on customs and social conduct.
I began by explaining that words are only one part of communication. Posture, distance, expression, the position of the hands, and the timing of a movement can reveal respect, uncertainty, fear, hostility, or deliberate insult before anything is spoken.
One of the most important principles was that there is no single measured bow that governs every person, caste, city, and occasion on Gor. The books contain bows, salutes, kneeling, obeisance, and other bodily signs, but they do not provide a universal chart of exact angles for every rank.
I also emphasized the difference between etiquette and law. A gesture may be courteous, rude, awkward, mocking, or insulting without automatically becoming a crime. Authority comes from office, law, command, property, or another recognized source—not simply from someone expecting personal deference.
The third central principle was that the courtesy of a free person must not be confused with the obedience of a slave. A free citizen may bow while retaining dignity and freedom. A slave’s kneeling may acknowledge bondage and obedience. Those meanings should not be carelessly exchanged.
We discussed the Gorean greeting Tal and its accompanying gesture of raising the right hand with the palm inward. Odette commented that she had been taught Tal might be too familiar for strangers. Thunder thought that showing the back of the hand could appear rude. I explained that part of the gesture’s meaning is to display an empty hand and show that one is not raising it to cause harm. Odette sensibly reminded us that Gorean customs need not carry precisely the same meanings as Earth customs.
The lesson then covered the inclination of the head, the formal bow, acknowledgment of an office rather than merely its holder, kneeling, prostration, caste, age, achievement, hospitality, relationship, and place.
I described several common errors: the empty bow, mocking bow, careless bow, unclear bow, dangerous bow, flatterer’s bow, and the assumed insult. Before making any gesture, a person should consider whom they are acknowledging, where the encounter is taking place, and what they intend their body to communicate.
Captain Tarl arrived near the conclusion and announced that, as a Warrior, he was always willing to learn more about his bow. The double meaning caused considerable laughter. To ensure that he did not miss the actual lesson material, I handed him a copy of my scroll.
The next World lesson will examine names, caste titles, civic offices, and forms of address. It will explain why a title should identify genuine status or authority rather than merely flatter an invented rank.
Following the class, I briefly visited Olni before returning to Turmus. Near the arena, I watched Augustus and Captain Tarl practice with steel. Their exchanges were quick and skillful, and those gathered in the gallery seemed to enjoy the display. Aries spoke of wishing to learn how to use the dagger he had carried during his pledging, and both men offered to help train him.
Aries also conducted an amusing survey among the slaves concerning their favorite and least favorite household chores. Some of the answers were more mischievous than informative. When I realized I was uncertain of the route back to my house, Aries kindly guided me through the city until I recognized the path.
Soon afterward, I encountered Kael. He asked how the earlier class had gone, and I told him that it had been all right. I then told him that I had news and invited him to walk with me.
I showed him my new home. He immediately called it a “primo house” and complimented the sign outside. I explained that I had obtained a very nice location and that I was working toward becoming a member of Turmus. It meant a great deal to me to show him what I had created.
Kael reminded me that the slave class would soon begin and offered to take me there because his office was nearby. We arrived early at the campfire, where Carola, Lady Selia, leena, and several others were already gathering.
The instructor, Akeshi Reardon, presented the second lecture in his Slaves in Gor series, titled Slave Rules. It was conducted partly in character and partly out of character so that slaves could ask questions.
The class examined customary expectations placed upon slaves, the legal condition of slavery, conduct before free people, obedience, punishment, restrictions imposed by owners, and the many names and classifications used for different slaves.
There was considerable discussion about whether an owner’s restrictions should be honored by other free people and what protection an owner is responsible for providing. Kael, Petra, rowena, Cassian, Carola, and others contributed questions or opinions. The discussion made clear that people do not interpret every passage or custom in precisely the same way.
Carola asked whether a free woman should correct a slave when the slave’s owner is present and permitting the conduct. The instructor advised her to approach the owner first. Carola admitted that she perhaps should have done that instead of immediately banning the girl from her shop, although she remained firm that an apology was required.
The instructor concluded by explaining many different terms and varieties of slaves. I found the material interesting, but I was not certain that I agreed with everything presented. I will need to compare several of the statements with my own notes and the books. Disagreement does not make a class worthless; sometimes it provides the best reason to return to the sources and examine a subject more carefully.
After class, Aries encouraged me to attend the Turmus Tavern Night. He said Nicholas hoped for a large gathering, and I agreed that it would be pleasant to listen to the music.
Before the event, Carola gave me a copy of the Class Levels material. I told her that I hoped people would read it. The entire purpose of creating these lessons is to give people something useful that they can study, discuss, and carry into their roleplay.
The tavern gathering began at approximately five o’clock. Nicholas welcomed everyone on behalf of Turmus, its leaders, and the tavern keeper. Jay Sparrowtree provided the streamed music and accepted requests. Special seating had been arranged outside for the free women, allowing us to enjoy the evening without being crowded inside the tavern.
There was a good gathering of citizens and visitors. Music drifted from the tavern while slaves danced in and around the sandpit. The songs ranged from the enjoyable to the extremely unusual. When a piece of metal yodeling began, I could only respond, “Oh my.” Jay promptly reminded everyone that he had warned us.
While we listened, Captain Tarl, Augustus, and Aries discussed establishing proper weapons instruction for free men. Captain Tarl said such training belonged in the arena, which seemed the sensible location. I listened with interest as they considered the idea of a scheduled class.
Aries offered Amalia’s service and asked whether I wanted anything. I requested a mead in a glass or mug. She returned with it, presented it properly, and remained kneeling until I dismissed her. Aries seemed pleased to demonstrate that she had been trained to wait for permission before leaving.
Later, the dispute between Carola and Amalia returned to everyone’s attention. Aries explained that he had punished Amalia for her earlier behavior and instructed her to apologize. Amalia prostrated herself before Carola and begged forgiveness for insulting her products and praising a competitor’s soap.
Carola acknowledged the apology but explained that the soap incident had been only the last in a series of rude behaviors. Eventually, she agreed that Amalia could enter the shop if she first knelt at the entrance and asked permission. She was not to distribute another merchant’s soap or advise Carola about what products she should carry. It was not a warm reconciliation, but it established a path forward and clear expectations.
Nicholas announced that there would be no regular tavern gathering the following Saturday. Instead, an out-of-character concert featuring Dazzler & the Marvels was being planned for August 22 at either four or five in the afternoon.
By the time the gathering began to wind down, I had taught one class, attended another, revisited my notes, shown Kael my new home, listened to weapons-training plans, enjoyed music, and witnessed the resolution of a dispute.
The day demonstrated precisely why education matters. Customs that appear simple—such as a bow, a slave’s posture, or the proper way to address an owner—can lead to lengthy discussions and sharply different interpretations. The important thing is to continue asking questions, return to the books, distinguish law from custom, and remain willing to learn.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Class Summary: Bowing, Kneeling, and Other Gestures of Respect
Date: August 15, 2026
Time: 11:11 AM–11:55 AM SLT
Location: Turmus Educational Hall
Teacher: Lady Kati Evans
Level and Track: The World — Customs and Social Conduct
Purpose:
To examine how greetings, bows, kneeling, posture, and other bodily gestures communicate respect, status, obedience, hostility, or insult within Gorean society.
Summary:
- There is no universal book-supported chart assigning precise bowing angles to every caste, office, or rank.
- Etiquette and law are not the same. Rudeness does not automatically create a crime.
- A free person’s courtesy must not be confused with a slave’s obedience.
- Tal may be accompanied by raising the right hand with the palm inward.
- An inclination of the head provides restrained acknowledgment.
- A formal bow gives more visible respect but should not require a free person to imitate submission.
- Civic gestures may honor an office and the law it represents rather than granting personal dominion to the officeholder.
- Kneeling and prostration carry stronger meanings and should not be used carelessly by free people.
- Caste, office, age, achievement, hospitality, relationship, and location all affect the proper gesture.
- Students were taught to ask whom they were acknowledging, where they were standing, and what their bodies were intended to say.
- The next World lesson will cover names, caste titles, civic offices, and forms of address.
Confirmed Attendance:
- Lady Kati Evans — Teacher
- Odette Atheria
- Lady Selia
- Aries Marchese
- Amalia
- ThunderBolt Kanto
- Captain Tarl Daines — Late arrival
- caile — Present near the conclusion
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Class Summary: Slaves in Gor — Lecture Two: Slave Rules
Date: August 15, 2026
Time: 2:01 PM–3:58 PM SLT
Location: Campfire, Turmus
Teacher: Akeshi Reardon
Hosts/Inviting Officials: Nicholas Eel and Lady Selia
Purpose:
To present customary expectations associated with Gorean slavery, discuss the relationship between an owner’s commands and wider social practices, and introduce the different terms and classifications used for slaves.
Summary:
- The instructor described the material as general customs, codes, traditions, and roleplay guidance rather than a single universal list of laws.
- Topics included obedience, appearance, service, sleeping arrangements, punishment, mistakes, disrespect, escape, assault, lying, privacy, naming free people, accepting punishment, seating, eating, and positioning near an owner.
- A lengthy discussion concerned an owner’s restrictions, the availability or protection of a slave, compensation for harm, and the responsibilities of an owner.
- Cassian offered a different interpretation regarding how a restricted slave might warn others and draw attention. The instructor disagreed with portions of that interpretation.
- Carola asked whether she should correct a slave whose owner was present. The advice was to speak to the owner first.
- Terms discussed included kajira, kajirus, Sa-fora, bond-maid, thrall, mul, white silk, red silk, tower slave, house slave, pleasure slave, bath girl, below-deck girl, deck-cage girl, coin girl, debt slave, display slave, exotic, passion slave, draft slave, poison slave, dancer, field slave, fighting slave, gambling-house slave, kettle slave, mat girl, and pot girl.
- The next class in the series was announced for fourteen days later.
- I considered the class valuable as a subject for further study, although I intend to verify several interpretations against my notes and the novels.
Confirmed Attendance and Participation:
- Akeshi Reardon — Teacher
- Lady Kati Evans
- Lady Selia
- Nicholas Eel
- Kaellaed Rhode
- Carola Aromata Titus
- Aries Marchese
- Cassian Leoric
- Petra Poliatevska
- ThunderBolt Kanto
- Emily Steele
- Laela
- Amalia
- rowena
- leena
- Jean
- Cheryl
- Nerine
- Mel
- Lucy
- KT’s plaything
- Ry’en Syr’Astreia
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Event Summary: Turmus Tavern Night
Date: August 15, 2026
Time: Approximately 5:00 PM–6:39 PM SLT
Location: Turmus Tavern and Outside Seating
Host: Nicholas Eel, on behalf of Turmus and the tavern keeper
Music: Jay Sparrowtree
Purpose:
To provide a regular social gathering for Turmus citizens, visitors, free people, and slaves, featuring streamed music, dancing, service, and conversation.
Summary:
- Nicholas welcomed the gathering and encouraged guests to invite friends and request songs from Jay.
- Special outside seating was provided for free women.
- Several slaves served drinks and danced in and around the sandpit.
- Conversations included possible weapons instruction for free men, the former Turmus fighting-slave kennel, medical apprentices, city security, and an attempted intrusion at the palace.
- Amalia served me a mug of mead.
- Amalia formally apologized to Carola for her earlier behavior involving soap and Carola’s shop.
- Carola established conditions under which Amalia could again request entry into the shop.
- The music included an unexpected metal-yodeling selection.
- Nicholas announced that the regular tavern event would not be held on August 22. An out-of-character concert by Dazzler & the Marvels was planned instead, with the exact time still to be confirmed as either 4:00 or 5:00 PM SLT.
Confirmed Attendance and Participation:
- Lady Kati Evans
- Nicholas Eel
- Jay Sparrowtree
- Lady Selia
- Aries Marchese
- Amalia
- Carola Aromata Titus
- Captain Tarl Daines
- caile
- Emily Steele
- Ella De Wren Bade
- Augustus Bade
- Thessallia
- Cassian Leoric
- Cross “Old Scar” Avro
- Nebo
- Abijam Fenrir
- Aurora Darlagraysun
- Owen Fenrir
- Amalric Skytower
- rowena
- Laela
- Nerine
- Mel
- Zoey Soburin
- leena
- Jean
- Cheryl
- Duncan Willis
- Trygg Tyran
- Petra Poliatevska
- Flower
No comments:
Post a Comment