August 21, 2026
Regions: Turmus (Nile River), Olni, and Olni Var
I began the morning in Turmus, checking the Educational Hall calendar before traveling to Olni to examine the class schedules there. After making sure the upcoming lessons were displayed, I returned to Turmus.
I joined Lady Carola and Lady Cherry, although I was later than expected because I had slept longer than intended. I explained that I had undergone minor surgery the previous day. I was sore, tired, and rather fuzzy-headed from the medication, but I still welcomed the company and conversation.
Cherry entertained us with some playful gossip about a mysterious man peering through windows and a woman supposedly carrying a five-silver bounty upon her head. Carola also asked what activities the Free Women might enjoy during Ramius’s planned Fall Festival. She suggested the Game of Favors, in which each Free Woman would attempt to give ten small favors—such as flowers, scarves, handkerchiefs, or jewelry pins—to Free Men.
At first, I misunderstood the meaning of “favors” and wondered whether the men would later return them in exchange for work or assistance. Once Carola explained that they were simply small gifts, I understood the game better, although I still thought a man might misunderstand a woman offering him a favor. My mind was clearly wandering through every possible implication. Carola told me that I tend to think beyond the surface and consider everything that might interact with a piece of knowledge. She compared me to Kael in that respect, calling me intelligent and a sponge for knowledge and possibilities. She then firmly told me to return to bed and rest. I laughingly answered, “Yes, Mom,” and did as I was told.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
After sleeping for several hours, I returned to Turmus and encountered Lady Stefania. I invited her to my house for tea and showed her the Educational Hall along the way. We sat in my private garden corner, surrounded by flowers, and spoke about my recovery and my experiences in Turmus and Olni.
I admitted that although I teach in both cities, more people attend my classes in Turmus. In Olni, sometimes no one attends, while in Turmus I usually have several students. More importantly, I find more conversation and a stronger feeling of community in Turmus.
Stefania observed that I never seemed entirely comfortable in Olni. I had not realized that it showed. I explained that I often feel as if I merely fill a space there without truly belonging because few people speak with me. I am accustomed to watching others as a Magistrate rather than entering into their activities, and joining conversations can feel strange. In Turmus, however, several people actively look for me, so I have learned to look for them as well. That makes me feel accepted, appreciated, and more comfortable.
I had originally intended only to teach in Turmus, but recently I requested a house. The home turned out beautifully, and it has helped deepen my connection to the city.
After tea, I gave Stefania a tour. I showed her the kitchen with its many cabinets, some bearing my initials; the small sitting area; the living room filled with books and scrolls; my writing desk; the beverage station; the balcony; and my bedroom. She admired the wardrobe, the storage areas, the basin and chamber pot, and the dresser holding Father’s picture. I was pleased to show her the walls and explained that I had created and applied the textures myself.
The conversation about the walls led me to mention that I had originally designed darker walls for Kael’s home. I explained that Kaellaed Rhode had been my companion many years ago and had served as Turmus’s Ambassador until recently.
I told Stefania about the dispute involving my former northern hairstyle. A slaver believed the knot in my braided hair resembled a slave knot and threatened to take and collar me. Kael believed the slaver was wrong and wanted the matter brought to trial so that he could defend me. My father, one of Father’s men, and Kael all rose to my defense and threatened the slaver.
What I had wanted, however, was not more threats. I simply wanted someone to listen to my side of the matter.
The dispute eventually came before the Ubar and Ubara, but everything was placed on hold because of my surgery. Kael apparently interpreted the delay as meaning there would be no trial. He became upset, left Turmus, and went to Olni. The slaver believes his good name has been damaged, although nothing has yet been formally decided.
I explained that I am not a Magistrate of Turmus. Kelli, Aries, and another man hold the city’s judicial authority. Kelli spoke with us in his office before the meeting with the Ubar and Ubara, while Aries has listened to my concerns. I have not encountered the slaver again, and I no longer wear the hairstyle that caused the disagreement.
When Stefania asked how safe and comfortable I felt after everything that happened, I admitted that I presently preferred being in Turmus rather than Olni. She understood and said she would try to be more present in Turmus. I was genuinely pleased because I had been excited to learn that she was visiting the city.
The medication eventually made me sleepy again, so Stefania thanked me for my friendship and hospitality before leaving me to rest.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
That evening, Kael came to see me in Turmus. He asked about the surgery and listened as I described the stiffness, soreness, and unexpected pain around my ribs. He made certain I could eat and move around and asked whether I had medication. I told him that I had pain medicine and an antibiotic and expected to feel better after another day.
Kael advised me to rest, remain hydrated, and allow nature to take its course. He hugged me before leaving for the night. I told him I had already taken three naps that day, and he assured me that naps were good.
Despite the discomfort and confusion of recovering from surgery, the day reminded me that I am surrounded by people who care about me. It also helped me recognize how important conversation, friendship, and a genuine sense of belonging have become to me—and why Turmus is beginning to feel like more than merely the place where I teach.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
To Do
- Continue resting, hydrating, and taking the prescribed medication.
- Prepare The Administrator: Office, Authority, and Responsibility for August 25.
- Prepare Weights, Measures, and Merchant Scales for August 27.
- Consider an appropriate Free Women’s activity for the Turmus Fall Festival.
- Continue working toward membership in the Turmus Dance Circle.
- Revisit the matter involving the slaver and my hair after recovering from surgery.
- Speak with the appropriate Turmus officials about whether the matter will receive a formal hearing.
No comments:
Post a Comment