Date: August 23, 2026
Regions: Turmus (Nile River), Olni, and Olni Var
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Morning Blackwine in Turmus
Present: Carola Aromata Titus, Stefania Wildrose, Kati Evans
Later involved: sosla Beck
I returned to Turmus before dawn and joined Carola and Stefania for blackwine. Our morning gatherings near the swings are becoming a comforting routine.
We spoke about how quiet the city has been. The wine shop and Pani restaurant have closed, and Carola thought the approaching school year and Labor Day might make the next couple of weeks quieter still. She also asked for ideas for a Free Women’s event during the Fall Festival. A foot race and the Game of Favors have already been suggested. A performance by the dance circle seems unlikely because Luella has only recently left the infirmary and has not been able to complete the choreography.
I told them about a strange dream in which I wore a shimmering band around my right arm that I could not remove. Carola teased that it sounded like a collar, but I quickly rejected that thought.
Our peaceful morning was interrupted by a man named sosla Beck. He asked for blackwine and attempted to sit beside us even after Carola explained that the benches were full and that it would be improper for him to sit so close to an uncompanioned Free Woman. He mocked us, ignored the warning, and crowded Stefania.
Rather than remain and allow the situation to worsen, we left for my house. Stefania made her opinion of his odor very clear as we departed.
Once safely inside, Carola told us she had encountered him before and had been warned to keep her distance. She said he had previously harassed a slave who could not simply walk away from him. I remembered that Father knew the man from Fjord and would not permit him to remain there.
Carola believed that he deliberately pushed Free Women until they did something he could describe as slave-like. We remained inside until he left.
A Conversation About Kael
While we were at my house, I spoke honestly with Carola and Stefania about Kael. He has begun speaking as though he wants companionship with me again, and I have been struggling with what to say.
Carola advised me to tell him that Father forbids it and to send Kael directly to Father if he wishes to challenge the decision. However, the truth is that I do not want another companionship with Kael. Twice was enough—once in 2010 and again in 2019.
He showed me in Selnar that his temper remains. He changed his mind about me, decided he wanted companionship again, and then left Turmus when matters did not go as he wished. Now that he has sent his girls away, he says he only wants me. I am not blind to the timing.
Stefania offered a simple measure for judging a man:
A man entering my world should bring peace, not chaos.
That stayed with me. I admitted that the price of being with Kael has always been too high. Perhaps what I miss is the wish of what things might have been rather than the life we actually shared.
I will remain Kael’s friend, but I do not want to become his companion again. With Aries, I felt comfortable and at peace. That difference matters.
I showed Carola and Stefania the initials hidden in the wall textures of my house. I explained that I had originally decorated the house for Kael. After the region was rolled back, I picked everything up, but Kael refused to let me restore it and instead filled the house with a strange collection of furnishings. It was another reminder that he does not respond well when matters do not go his way.
After Stefania left, Kael came to see me. He remarked that I was completely covered, embraced me twice, and then went offline.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
Morning in Olni
Present: Balkan Sands, Tura, Paul SpiritWeaver, Kael, Kati Evans, and an unidentified man using the marker “A”
I traveled to Olni later in the morning. Balkan Sands was there with Tura, who addressed him as her Master. Balkan said he was expected at the High Council meeting and needed to prepare incident and council reports.
An unidentified man questioned whether I lived in two or three cities and warned that a Free Woman should not travel without an escort. I explained that Olni remains my home and that I teach in both Olni and Turmus. I recently received a house in Turmus, so I no longer need to stay at the inn when I teach there. At present, more people attend my classes in Turmus, but Olni remains home.
Paul asked about my health. I told him my surgery was finished and that I was doing as well as could be expected.
Kael, Kelli, and Father’s Decision
Kael arrived and asked about my proposed meeting with Kelli and the continuing problem involving Cass. Cass had objected to the way I wore my hair because he thought it resembled a slave knot. I told Kael that I wanted to hear Kelli out. I never wanted the matter to become as serious as it did.
Kael maintained that Cass had violated the law and should have faced a formal trial. He said Kelli had been prepared to proceed until Bactu intervened. I explained that Bactu stepped in because he had been listening to me at a time when I was not permitted to speak for myself. Kael still believed that a trial would have been the proper course.
At one point, Kael called me timid and said that he made up for it. He then joked that our future children would be properly balanced. It was another sign that he was already speaking as though companionship between us had been decided.
Father settled the matter.
I told Kael:
[11:04 AM] Kati Evans: Wind says you can’t court me.
Father refused because Kael had told Izzy that he was my intended before he ever asked Father for permission. Kael claimed he had merely said that he intended to court me, but the distinction did not change Father’s decision.
Kael asked me to tell him if I did not want him in either Olni or Turmus. He later left for Teletus but asked to be informed about my meeting with Kelli. The meeting will likely be Tuesday near 7:00 AM.
I was becoming tired from my medication, and Kael advised me not to fight the sleep.
Evening Conversation with Laela
Present: Laela and Kati Evans
That evening, I gave Laela the updated schedules for the Educational Hall and the upcoming Olni discussions. I told her that my greatest difficulty is getting the word out about the classes.
Laela said she would meet with me again so we could review the dates and decide how best to advertise them. We agreed to work on a plan over this week and next. I also told her I could use help cleaning my Turmus house—and that I would enjoy her company.
Our conversation also revealed something important about Kael. Laela said she had seen him at my house that morning. She also mentioned another man she knew from Turmus:
Rhyder Thibaud
According to Laela, Kael and Rhyder had both been banned from Turmus in the past because of incidents involving their anger. Both men were eventually permitted to return, and she said Kael had not caused such a disturbance for some time.
I also told her that Father had refused to permit Kael to court me because Kael had already told Izzy that he was my intended. Laela was surprised but understood the situation.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
The Shield Mystery — Solved
I found it. The slave girl was Tura, previously called Ixia, account name jalanihermosa. She belonged to Balkan Sands.
First Shield Conversation — June 27, 2026
[10:09 AM] Kati Evans: I need to find a round shield that works to do that to.
[10:10 AM] Balkan Sands: to do what?
[10:11 AM] Kati Evans: Father wants a shield with his logo on it
[10:13 AM] Balkan Sands: (( Ture can create it in Blender ))
[10:13 AM] Balkan Sands: (( Tura ))
[10:14 AM] Tura: ((indeed i can, just need the logo texture))
[10:17 AM] Balkan Sands: Tura you sketch it Ill forge it
[10:18 AM] Tura: “Yes, my master. I hope it most pleasing for the mistresses father and meets all his standards”
[10:19 AM] Balkan Sands: Katis father is a well known man in the North
[10:19 AM] Balkan Sands: the shield has to represent that
[10:28 AM] Tura: “Like on top of the shield at the top or curved over like it is in the drawing? I can sketch either of them, or make the sketch appear to come off the page more”
[10:29 AM] Kati Evans: a 3D bull on the shield.
[10:38 AM] Tura: “I can certainly do that, mistress. And i do not worry that my master would be unable to forge anything”
Later that morning, Tura said:
[10:59 AM] Tura: if you have any other specifications about the shield or your father does let me know :)
[11:17 AM] Kati Evans: He probably will give one to all of the silver blades.
[11:23 AM] Tura: okay, so that will be a full perm then, good to know :)
What Followed
- July 1: Tura showed me the rough bull sculpture.
- July 10: She showed me additional versions, and I requested a gunmetal bull instead of a gold one.
- July 11: She showed me the eyes on the shield.
- July 14–15: She delivered “Father’s Shield – Kati Evans 20260715” and “Father’s Bull for Shield 20260715.”
Tura’s ownership is also confirmed by a conversation from June 16. Ixia/Tura greeted Balkan as “Master,” and Balkan responded by “nodding at his girl.”
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
To Dos
- Meet with Kelli, probably Tuesday near 7:00 AM, and hear her account of the matter involving Cass.
- Let Kael know when the meeting with Kelli is confirmed.
- Meet with Laela tomorrow afternoon.
- Review the Educational Hall and Olni discussion schedules with Laela.
- Develop a plan over this week and next for advertising the upcoming classes.
- Ask Laela for help cleaning the Turmus house.
- Consider ideas for the Free Women’s Fall Festival event.
- Continue choosing peace and maintain clear boundaries with Kael.

No comments:
Post a Comment