Journal Entry: August 4, 2026
Location: Nile River / Turmus / Olni / Summer Sun / Timba
Title: Teaching in Olni and Questions of Home
Logged in early and spent the morning at Turmus Educational speaking with Cherry about the class schedule. I explained that I would be teaching Merchants and Commerce in the Gorean Novels in Olni at 2:00 PM, followed by presentations in Turmus on Thursday at 12:00 PM and 4:00 PM. Cherry said that daytime classes are difficult for her but that she would enjoy reading the class transcripts. When I asked what time would work best for her, she suggested 7:00 AM EST. That may be worth considering, even if it occasionally results in private tutoring rather than a full class.
Carola joined us for a time, and the morning included some light conversation before I returned to reviewing and preparing the Olni lesson. Later, Aries visited me in the Educational Hall. We discussed the upcoming class, the review and approval process for lessons, and the continued growth of Turmus. He mentioned that a fisherman had recently moved into the city and that a new girl might soon join the tavern.
Our conversation eventually turned to the future of the Silver Blades. I explained that Father intends to close the Fjord temporarily because the men are not expected to return until after Thanksgiving. Although this will save him money, it also places the Silver Blades more firmly in Olni, where they will retain their longhouse. This led to a broader discussion about residency, citizenship, and the possibility of serving Turmus as a Magistrate. I remain a resident of Olni rather than a citizen of either city, but I am tempted by the possibility of becoming a citizen and Magistrate in Turmus.
Aries also asked about the abandonment of a slave whose owner has been absent. He located a Turmus law stating that a slave is considered abandoned after more than 20 days without contact from the owner or placement in the care of a renter. I explained that the exact law should be checked carefully before any action is taken, since other cities commonly use a period of 21 days. Once legally abandoned, the slave would ordinarily pass into the custody of the city and could later be sold.
A thunderstorm passed through while we were speaking, and my nervous little Shih Tzu spent much of it trying to climb into my lap. She is slowly learning not to hide and cry during loud storms, so there has been some improvement.
At 2:00 PM, I presented Merchants and Commerce in the Gorean Novels in Olni. Approximately fifteen people attended the first class, with both Free Persons and slaves among the students. I was pleased by the turnout, although it remains to be seen how many will continue attending future sessions.
After class, I returned to the Turmus area and looked over several available houses and rental spaces, considering what it might be like to establish a more permanent home there. I later spoke with Father about the class, Olni, and the difficulty of finding a place that feels truly settled. He offered to help find a better building for my school at the Fjord. We also traveled briefly to Timba to look around before returning through Summer Sun and Nile River.
The day left me with much to consider: the future of my classes, whether Turmus may become a more permanent home, and where my duties as a teacher and Magistrate may eventually lead.
To Do:
- Prepare for Thursday’s Turmus presentations of The Merchant’s Ledger: Advanced Gorean Economics at 12:00 PM and 4:00 PM.
- Consider whether an occasional early-morning class near 7:00 AM EST would serve students who cannot attend during the day.
- Provide Cherry with the class transcript.
- Confirm the exact Turmus law and procedure governing slaves abandoned for more than 20 days.
- Consider Turmus citizenship and the possibility of serving there as a Magistrate.
- Continue looking into suitable housing and teaching space.
No comments:
Post a Comment