Tuesday, September 29, 2026

A Place in the Caste, My First Assignment, and a Glorious Day for Hugs

Locations: My home, the Educational Hall, the Scribe Hall, Lady Sabrina’s bakery, and the Tea Room in Turmus, Nile River.

Today began with waiting and ended with the satisfaction of having work to do. After three months of teaching in Turmus, I now have another responsibility within the city: Legal Clerk, supporting the magistrates with their documents and investigations.

While waiting for my morning meeting with Kelli, I kept myself occupied by rearranging the dining room and first floor of my house. The entrance had felt rather cramped, and I was much happier with the new arrangement. Kael checked in and wished me luck, and Brianna joined me while I worked. I showed her the changes, the working lamps, and the hiding places I had arranged in case of an attack.

We then went to the Educational Hall. I showed Brianna the beverage dispenser, library, blackboard, map of Gor, and class schedule. The classes are planned through August 2027. I explained the breaks in the schedule, including the additional pause Selia requested for the city festival. With the drawing prepared on the board, I was ready for the day’s lesson.

Waiting for Kelli was difficult, but at least the time had been useful.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

The meeting finally gathered upstairs in the Scribe Hall. Kelli spoke with Kael, Orion, and me about the responsibilities of the caste. He made it clear that previous service as a magistrate elsewhere does not mean an immediate appointment to that position in Turmus. Knowledge of the laws, integrity, and loyalty to the caste must be demonstrated here.

I introduced myself and described my years of service as a magistrate and the three months I have spent teaching in Turmus. Orion introduced himself as a scribe from Tor, interested in mapping the Vosk Delta. Kael spoke about his earlier service in Turmus as an ambassador and reflected on his departure and return.

Kelli reminded us that, whatever our particular assignments, we are all scribes first and must help with the ordinary work of the caste, including paperwork and assistance for those who cannot read.

He then appointed me Legal Clerk. I am to assist with the magistrates’ documents and investigations when needed, working with Kelli, Aries Marchese, Marcus Galbreus, and advocates I have yet to meet.

Orion was assigned to cartography, although Kelli explained that mapping the area requires the Ubar’s permission because of the city’s security concerns. Kael remained to discuss his own position further.

Before leaving, I asked the practical questions: where the forms were kept, how records were filed, and who maintained them. Kelli showed us the paperwork shelves and records bookcase. He named Aneesh Teardrop and Sphere Proto as the records keepers and said that paperwork could also go to him, Aries, or the Ubara when neither records keeper was available. He asked us to send our Second Life names on a notecard so access could be arranged for the bookcase and mailbox.

I also asked about places of safety during raids. Kelli showed us the Scribe Hall’s safe room and advised us to let a warrior know before exploring other tunnels, lest our curiosity be mistaken for spying.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

My first requests arrived almost immediately.

Lady Sabrina Blackwood Wolfe came seeking information about becoming an ambassador or serving in a similar position. She described her experience as Assistant Head of Caste in Port Victoria and as a business owner. Dexter and I directed her toward Kelli, who assigns caste positions. Since he had left for a real-life meeting, I suggested that she leave him a message in the Scribe Hall mailbox.

Later, when I saw Sabrina again, I told her to find me if she had not heard anything within the next two days. Helping people reach the right person is already part of the work.

Blue then approached me with a request I had never handled before: a Letter of Debt. He said the tavern keeper, Lyrus, owed him one silver and five copper for a rented slave’s medical treatment, together with his time and trouble. Blue explained that he had paid the treatment costs and believed Lyrus was responsible for the injuries.

I asked for the rental agreement, medical records, and any other supporting documentation. I told him I would check how the paperwork should be prepared and do my best to return it promptly, although I also had classes scheduled that day. I put the papers away safely and began working.

There were a few practical difficulties. Some of the forms menus timed out, and the magistrate forms told me I was not on the access list. Those are things that will need sorting out as I settle into the position.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Meanwhile, teaching continued to claim its share of my attention.

Odette asked me to clarify the day’s class times because a published notice gave the first session as 1 p.m. I confirmed that the correct times were noon and 4 p.m.

Carola joined me while I reviewed my work and finally ate a late lunch. I had improvised a tuna and mixed-vegetable salad because I was out of lettuce. We talked about my seal, my return to legal work, and the day’s topic, “The Administrator: Office, Authority, and Responsibility.” She recognized it from an earlier class and already had notes from August.

I explained that when I first returned, I had been uncertain about resuming magistrate duties and had listed that experience as retired. Now there is a new place for me to begin within Turmus.

Later, I found the Ubar and Ubara visiting Sabrina’s bakery. I told Selia about my appointment and asked whether there was an official Turmus Scribe seal. She congratulated me and said there was one, promising to make sure I received it. I had made a possible work seal of my own, but its use would still need Kelli’s approval.

Between teaching and legal work, I told Selia I hoped to stay busy. It was already looking likely.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

By early afternoon, Blue returned after my messenger found him. We sat together, and I placed the prepared scroll before him.

He supplied the tavern keeper’s full name, Lyrus Tenrik. I pointed out that the name at the top of the document needed to be completed and reminded him that the magistrate would want that detail corrected. His girl Aysha joined us and kindly described me as a good teacher.

I explained the next step carefully. Blue needed to take the prepared document and all supporting records to one of the Turmus magistrates: Kelli, Aries, or Marcus. They would review the matter and determine any further action or authorization. My work was preparing the paperwork; the determination belonged to the magistrate.

Blue insisted on paying for my efforts, explaining that his caste laws did not permit him to accept charity. Since I did not yet know the usual local rate, I suggested ten copper. He agreed and paid me.

My first assignment had arrived and been returned on the same day as my appointment. I was delighted.

When I saw Carola afterward, I gave her a big hug, then tried rather unsuccessfully to look as though I had done nothing unusual. I told her it was a glorious day for hugs: I had my position, my first request, and completed paperwork already delivered back to Blue.

She laughed at my enthusiasm for scrolls. I admitted that I like work. With the classes planned so far ahead, I had wondered what else I would do. Now I know.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Laela later offered to help in the Scribe Hall and asked about the afternoon class. I told her about my new position and asked when her owner, Marcus Galbreus, would be in the magistrate’s office. She said he is generally there around 8 p.m. SLT and offered to let him know I wished to speak with him.

I had also asked Uli to tell Aries that I had work to review with him. When Aries appeared, I told him I had had a terrific day and shared the news of my appointment. He invited me for tea.

At the Tea Room, I confessed how pleased I was that people could come to me to begin their paperwork when they could not find a magistrate. Aries assured me that there was nothing silly about that. He called me a legal scribe at heart and said my knowledge and experience would be valuable to the city.

Our tea was interrupted by the Scribe Hall bell. Aries went to answer it, and I followed. Caius Carver, recently returned from Teletus with his companion, wished to arrange approval to work within the caste. Hearing Teletus mentioned brought back fond memories for me.

While Aries spoke with Caius, another visitor, Jerric Daines, asked about a woman named Laila, possibly spelled differently, who had been a scribe in old Brundisium. I did not know her. He asked whether we could make inquiries, and I mentioned that Marcus owned a girl with a similar name, while making no claim that she was the woman he sought.

Eventually, I collected my tea and headed back toward the Educational Hall.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Attendance for the afternoon lesson was light. Lothar Huntsman, a tavern keeper and merchant living on a farm outside the city, came in and asked whether the class was only for the Blue Caste. I explained that everyone in Gor is welcome to learn.

Since he was the only person who had arrived for the class at that point, I offered him the lesson in a notecard. He accepted it, and I suggested the Thursday topics might also interest him. The day did not produce the gathering I had hoped for, but the material still reached someone who wanted it.

Angel Ely then arrived, saying the slaver had told her I was looking for her. We spoke about the possibility of renting her and about what I would expect. She said she could read and write, enjoyed books, and would be happy to help with my teaching and clerical work.

I told her that honesty, good behavior, and spending time with me mattered. We also compared our real-life schedules. She is in the Central time zone and runs a dog-treat business from home, with greater availability expected after the October markets and vendor shows. No rental arrangement was completed in this conversation; it was an opportunity to get acquainted.

Petra joined us later, looking for notes from earlier slave classes. I explained that I was restarting my classes after surgery had taken more out of me than I expected. I gave her the Administrator lesson notes, and our conversation became an informal discussion of administrators, ambassadors, merchants, trade, and alliances.

Angel said she ought to begin attending classes. I reminded her that everyone is welcome.

It was a long and busy day, but a good one. I had begun the morning waiting to learn what came next. By evening, I had a place in the caste, my first completed assignment, and plenty more to do.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

Meeting Summaries

Scribe Caste Orientation and Appointment

Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2026, approximately 8:49–9:54 a.m. SLT.

Location: Scribe Hall, Turmus.

Attendees: Kelli GreyMoon-Rizzo, Lady Kati Evans, Kaellaed Rhode, Orion Pastorelli, and Brianna Malone; Lady Rage arrived near the end.

Summary: Kelli outlined the duties and expectations of Turmus scribes and appointed Kati Legal Clerk, supporting Kelli, Aries Marchese, Marcus Galbreus, and the advocates. Orion was assigned cartography subject to the Ubar’s permission for local mapping. Kelli showed the paperwork shelves, records bookcase, and safe room, identified the records keepers, and requested notecards with Second Life names to arrange access.

Sabrina’s Inquiry About an Ambassador Position

Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2026, approximately 10:31–10:39 a.m. SLT, with a follow-up in the afternoon.

Attendees: Lady Kati Evans, Lady Sabrina Blackwood Wolfe, and Dexter Winters.

Summary: Sabrina sought an ambassador or related assignment. Kati directed her to leave Kelli a message in the Scribe Hall mailbox and offered a follow-up if no response arrived within two days.

Blue’s Letter of Debt

Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2026. Initial request approximately 10:40–11 a.m.; delivery approximately 1:57–2:14 p.m. SLT.

Attendees: Lady Kati Evans and Bluesaint; Aysha joined during delivery.

Summary: Blue requested a Letter of Debt concerning a claimed one silver and five copper owed by Lyrus Tenrik for treatment costs and related trouble following a slave’s injuries. Kati prepared the paperwork, identified a remaining name correction, and directed Blue to a magistrate with the document and supporting records. Blue paid ten copper for preparation. No ruling on the claimed debt was made during these conversations.

Official Scribe Seal Inquiry

Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2026, approximately 1:31–1:43 p.m. SLT.

Location: Sabrina’s bakery, Turmus.

Attendees: Lady Kati Evans, Ubara Selia, Ubar Bactu, and Lady Sabrina Blackwood Wolfe.

Summary: Kati announced her Legal Clerk appointment and asked about a work seal. Selia confirmed that an official Turmus Scribe seal exists and offered to provide it. Approval of Kati’s proposed separate seal remained pending.

Tea with Aries and Further Scribe Hall Requests

Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2026, approximately 3:11–3:57 p.m. SLT.

Attendees: Lady Kati Evans, Aries Marchese, Amalia, and Tayir at the Tea Room; Caius Carver and Jerric Daines during subsequent Scribe Hall conversations.

Summary: Aries welcomed Kati’s new role and invited her for tea. A bell call interrupted the visit. Aries handled Caius’s inquiry about working in the caste, while Kati answered Jerric’s inquiry about a former Brundisium scribe named Laila. Her identity and whereabouts remained unconfirmed.

Educational Hall Conversations

Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2026, approximately 4:22–5:43 p.m. SLT.

Attendees: Lady Kati Evans, Lothar Huntsman, Angel Ely, and Petra Poliatevska at different points.

Summary: Kati supplied Lothar and Petra with Administrator lesson notes. She discussed a possible rental with Angel and answered questions about administrators and ambassadors. The log records shared notes and informal discussion rather than a full afternoon lecture.

⊰════════════════════════════⊱

To-Do List

  • Send Kelli my Second Life name on a notecard for bookcase and mailbox access, if not already completed.
  • Ask Kelli to add me as Legal Clerk to the mailbox, files, and forms in the magistrate’s office: “When you add me as Legal Clerk, would you add me to the mailbox, files, and forms in the magistrate office as well?”
  • Confirm the filing procedure for legal work.
  • Obtain the official Turmus Scribe seal from Selia and ask Kelli about approval for my proposed work seal.
  • Confirm that Blue’s document includes Lyrus Tenrik’s full name and assist if the reviewing magistrate has questions.
  • Review my first assignment and clerical procedures with Aries; introduce myself to Marcus in my new role.
  • Confirm the usual local document-preparation fees.
  • Follow up with Sabrina if she has not heard from Kelli within two days.
  • Ask the other scribes about Jerric’s missing contact, Laila of old Brundisium, without assuming that a similar name identifies her.
  • Ensure announcements show the correct Tuesday and Thursday class times: noon and 4 p.m. SLT.
  • Prepare for Thursday’s “Klima and the Salt Trade of the Tahari” lesson.
  • Continue discussing a possible rental of Angel with her and the slaver.
  • Finish linking the adjusted walls and furnishings at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment