Locations: Magistrate’s Office; Tea Room and adjoining square; my home; Educational Hall; Palace Balcony, Turmus.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
JOURNAL ENTRY
My morning began with a visit to the Magistrate’s Office to check the mailbox, forms, and records. The forms dispenser still would not allow me access. There are practical matters yet to settle before I can make full use of the office in my work as Legal Clerk.
Later, I joined Odette at the Tea Room for blackwine. She brought it just as I like it, and we welcomed Adria to our table. Having met her yesterday, I was pleased to hear more about her hopes for Turmus. She wishes to learn the basics of Scribe work before choosing the field she would like to pursue.
Our quiet conversation took an unexpected turn when a man called Pod approached us. He described himself as a historian from Earth and spoke repeatedly of his submissive nature. His lack of a collar and his manner left his status uncertain. Adria discussed his choices with him and explained that a Slaver needed to hear his wish to submit to the city. When she offered to lead him away, I suggested the City Kennel. Afterward, I let out a sigh and decided that a second cup of blackwine was in order.Later in the morning, Angel accompanied me to the Magistrate’s Office. I collected an incident report bearing Sabrina’s account name, siliacortez, and asked the High Magistrate about access to the forms. The dispenser continued to refuse me, and I also encountered a notecard I could not view. With no resolution and the High Magistrate apparently not returning, I decided not to wait any longer. I was hungry, so Angel and I went home.
Before the noon class, I rearranged chairs to provide more seating. Orion arrived early, and others joined us as the hour approached. I welcomed everyone to the Educational Hall, including Nadia, whom I had not previously met.
The lesson brought a useful reminder to check my materials more carefully. The heading named “Merchant Castes, Houses, and Trade Associations,” while the opening announced “Guilds and Monopolies: Organized Trade and Control of the Market.” Orion noticed the difference. I acknowledged that I had written and filed the lesson some months ago and had not reread it before class. We continued with the combined subject.
We discussed the differences among castes, subcastes, Merchant houses, and trade associations, and how organized trades can protect knowledge, training, standards, and reputation. We also considered how those same organizations may restrict competition or gain control of a market. Orion asked several thoughtful questions, and Nadia joined in answering. I appreciated the exchange. Teaching gives me opportunities to learn from others as well as to share what I know.
After class, Ella helped me find the Palace Balcony for tea with Ubara Selia. It was pleasant to sit among the women of Turmus, hear introductions, and enjoy the view. I introduced myself as Legal Clerk and teacher, mentioning my many years of previous service as a Magistrate.
Much of the conversation turned toward the coming River Festival. Telima, our new Inn Keeper, Sabrina, our Baker, and Odette discussed ways their businesses might work together. Ella offered the possibility of hosting one of my classes. There were many ideas, though arrangements remained to be worked out.
The conversation also touched on veils, braids, caste colors, and the difference between law and custom. Ella suggested that the Magistrates provide clearer notices about what Free Women must and need not wear in Turmus. Selia reminded us that a decision concerning a citizen would belong to the Magistrate. I listened with interest, as such questions can easily become matters requiring careful clarification.
Melita brought me tea with a little milk. I thanked her, and later thanked Selia before leaving. The gathering provided a welcome opportunity for conversation and fellowship outside our usual work.
At the afternoon Dance Circle meeting, I met Lady Korlyn, who had learned of the gathering through a notice in Port Olni. Odette thought it might have been the poster I had placed there. It was encouraging to hear that the notice had brought someone to visit.
Anja suggested short demonstrations to show others what Free Woman dance can offer. Odette discussed giving her “Why Do FW Dance?” talk, preparing materials for distribution, and reaching other cities. The women considered the difficulties caused by different veil requirements and restrictions on access. There was interest in finding welcoming places where more women could participate. I had to leave for real-life matters before joining the dancing upstairs.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
MEETING SUMMARIES
Merchant Class — Educational Hall, noon–approximately 1:02 p.m. SLT
The combined lesson covered Merchant castes, houses, trade associations, guilds, and monopolies. Discussion addressed training, standards, market control, political influence, and the need to establish local authority before taking action. Orion raised questions about the lesson title, market share, secrecy, and keeping examples grounded in context. I clarified that afternoon classes repeat the morning lesson and that Thursday lessons are currently Merchant-related.
Tea with the Ubara — Palace Balcony, approximately 1:05–2:19 p.m. SLT
Selia hosted a social gathering of Free Women. Topics included River Festival preparations, cooperation among hospitality businesses, possible class hosting, dress expectations, and caste identification. Ella proposed clearer Magistrate notices on women’s attire. Selia planned another tea gathering the following month and said she would speak with Sabrina about a monthly pastry contract.
Free Woman’s Dance Circle — Tea Room, approximately 4:08–4:44 p.m. SLT attended
Anja proposed short dance demonstrations and outreach to receptive cities. Odette planned a talk in Turmus and a packet containing a poster and information with full permissions for distribution. Anja agreed to approach Gorean Campus about a speaking engagement. Different city requirements and access restrictions remained considerations.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱
TO-DOS / FOLLOW-UP
- Follow up with Kelli about access to the Magistrate Forms and the notecard permission issue.
- Review the collected incident report and refer questions requiring a decision to Kelli, Aries, or Marcus.
- Reconcile the lesson heading, introduction, and advertised title before presenting it again.
- Confirm the next Merchant lesson title and sequence; “River Merchants, Sea Merchants, and Their Ships” was next in my listing.
- Raise Ella’s suggestion for clear attire notices with the Magistrates; prepare wording if assigned.
- Consider Ella’s offer to host a class and discuss details if pursued.
- Follow up on Odette’s publicity packet if continuing to help distribute Dance Circle notices.
Group follow-ups: Odette to prepare publicity materials and arrange her Turmus talk; Anja to inquire at Gorean Campus; Selia to discuss a monthly pastry contract with Sabrina.
⊰════════════════════════════⊱

No comments:
Post a Comment